The above quote scares and inspires me. It helps me realize how essential water is for human survival. It also shines a bright light on the fact that we take water for granted.
When it flows from the taps on demand day in and day out, you tend to forget how necessary it is. But take it away, even for a few hours, and you’re snapped out of this complacency immediately.
The bottom line is without ongoing access to large quantities of clean drinkable water, your screwed.
And not screwed after a few weeks or months. In about 3 days, screwed.
So it’s worth your time, energy and a few dollars to ensure you’re able to maintain access to plenty of water. With that said, here are my recommend water tools and water resources:
This tool saves lives. The LifeStraw:
- Removes 99.9% of waterborne bacteria and parasites
- Filters up to 1,000 liters of contaminated water
- Compact, ultralight & easy to use
Using the LifeStraw is so simple! Containing no chemicals, the LifeStraw uses a mechanical filtration to safely filter your drinking water. Enjoy clean water in seconds!
- Stick the LifeStraw directly into the contaminated water source.
- Take 5 quick sucks to get the water flowing.
- As you suck, water is forced through hollow fibers, and any dirt, bacteria, viruses or parasites are trapped in the fibers, allowing only clean and safe drinking water to pass through.
- When you’re done drinking, simply blow air out the straw to clear the filter.
- Filters 1,000 liters of contaminated water without iodine or other chemicals
- Removes 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria like E. Coli & Cholera
- Removes 99.9% of waterborne parasites like Giardia & Crypto
- Exceeds EPA standards for water filters
- Chemical-free filtration
- Filters particles of 0.2 microns
- Made from BPA-free plastic
- No batteries; requires no power supply
- Comes in a protective sealed bag
- Perfect for hikers, campers, survivalists and disaster relief
- Weighs only 2 ounces
- Dimensions: 1 x 1 x 9 inches
2 – Metal Water Canteen
Nowadays, there are hundreds of options for water bottles. However, the majority of these include double wall insulation. Which is NOT what you want for survival.
You want a water canteen that’s made out of metal and DOES NOT include insulation. Why? Because you can’t safely boil water in an insulated water bottle, canteen or thermos.
Boiling water is a fool proof way to purify water. So you need your water carrying tool to allow you to boil water.
Trying to boil water in a double insulated water bottle not only will be nearly impossible (or take a very long time) and it will likely explode. The heat will expand the air trapped inside the insulation chamber and may explode when the pressure builds up…
Sure, the insulation keeps the liquids cold (or hot) for a long time but you restricts transferring a fire’s heat to the water as well.
So skip the fancy new double insulated water bottles and instead go with this:
- Its quality tested and ensured for maximum durability
- Designed with only the toughest, roughest users in mind
- Includes an aluminum cup perfect for boiling over a fire
3 – Survival Water Brick
Storing water doesn’t have to be a pain in the butt. It can actually be extremely efficient, organized, and dare I say fun…
As long as you have the right water storage tools. So I want to introduce you to the incredible survival water brick. These bricks:
- Holds 3.5 Gallons of Water, Dry Foods, or Ammo
- Stackable to Maximize Storage Capacity
- Easy-Grip Design Makes it Easy to Carry
- Virtually Indestructible!
The WaterBrick is a revolutionary water storage system! Say goodbye to shelves full of one-gallon jugs that leak and take up tons of precious space forever. WaterBricks are your solution – they’re sturdy, will not leak and are designed so you can stack and store them anywhere you need.
It’s The “Must Have” Water Storage System…
WaterBricks are stackable and make emergency water storage challenges a thing of the past. Easy to conceal under a bed or furniture, you no longer have to worry about plastic water jugs being damaged or leaking.
- Stores 3.5 Gallons Of Water, Food, Etc.
- Comfortable Easy-Grip Carrying Handle
- Waterproof Storage Of Dry Goods Or Documents
- Virtually Indestructible, Use For Decades
- Stackable And Interlock For Stability
- Can Stack Up To 4 Feet High
- Easy To Secure In Transit
- Can Withstand Temperatures Up To 230° F
- Weight: 2.3 Pounds (Empty)
- Dimensions: 9″ x 18″ x 6″
- Made From BPA-Free HDPE Plastic
- FDA Approved
- Cannot Be Used To Store Flammable Liquids
- Made In The USA
So Many Uses
- The Perfect Water Storage System – Interlocking design allows you to safely stack WaterBricks 4 feet high.
- Store Dry Foods & Important Documents – The airtight, waterproof container keeps items safe during floods or storms.
- Great For Camping – The thin design and comfortable easy-grip allows you to comfortably walk with 2 bricks.
- Use to Weigh Down Car/Truck – Just add water, sand or salt and use to weigh down the back of a rear-wheel car or truck.
- Back Up Ice/Cooling – Keep food cool longer during a blackout by keeping a frozen brick in the refrigerator. Then drink the water once thawed out.
4 – Water Purification Tablets
This one’s easy. Get several bottles of these Water Purification Tablets and you’ll be protected from nasty water for years to come. While boiling water to purify it is foolproof and simple, it can take a long time to boil it in larger volumes. So instead just drop a water purification tablet in.
If the taps ever go dry and you’re forced to look for nearby water sources, you’ll definitely want to purify it before drinking it.
Drinking from any water source in nature can cause severe nausea, vomiting, and cramping. Which in turn could lead to death, in a worst case scenario.
Invest in some water purification tablets because sometimes the simplest solutions that work the best. Preparedness doesn’t have to be hard or complicated but you do have to do it.
5 – WaterBOB Emergency Drinking Water Storage
I saved one of my favorite water resources for last. This emergency drinking water storage is a 100-gallon plastic blatter that fits in a standard sized bathtub.
When a disaster first strikes, often there’ll be time before the water towers and water storage tanks that feed your home go dry. That’s the time to turn your bath tubs into large emergency water storage tanks.
Just attach the end of this blatter to your tubs spigot, turn the water on, and fill it up.
- Disposable! One time use only!
- Holds 100 gallons of fresh drinking water
- Keeps water fresh for up to 12 weeks
- Attaches to faucet fills in minutes and includes pump to dispense water
- Made of FDA approved food grade
materials and is BPA-Free
Here’s a very insightful review that says it all:
This is a must have for anyone worried about losing power and water. I live in Florida and during a hurricane I used mine.
We went with out power and water for a week. This water bladder really saved our bacon!
We did not have to wait in a water line at the fire station like so many others. I keep reading people saying this is a one time use item. I rinsed the inside out with organic apple vinager and spring water and then used a shop vac to dry the inside of mine.
There has been no mildew or foul odors I would use it again with confidence.