Before we get to our list of non perishable foods, I want to share some shocking food statistics:
- Approximately 1/3 of worldwide food production for humans gets wasted every year (about 1.3 BILLON tonnes)!
- Food losses and wastes add up to about $990 billion across the globe.
- Fruits and vegetables have the highest rate of waste of any food types.
- Per person, waste by North American and European consumers is between 210 and 250 lbs per year!
- 842 MILLION people in the world do not have enough food…about 12% of the world’s population!
So by eliminating so much waste, we can help to reduce much of our world’s starvation. [Read more…]